Thursday, January 12, 2012

David, Son of Jesse

I haven't disappeared from my blog, but I'm working on another project that is taking a lot of my free time. I'll announce it soon, but for now it's kind of a secret.

Anyway, I've been reading 1 and 2 Samuel and marveling at what a stirring story the story of David is! I'm sure someone must have made a movie out of his life, because you couldn't make up the stuff that guy did. No wonder he lives in legend and history!

A shepherd who killed bears with his bare hands, a boy who killed a giant with a sling and no armor, a musician, a poet, a rescuer of cities, a pretended crazy man, a destroyer of armies, a loyal friend, a refugee, an adulterer, a murderer, a lover, a loving father, an adored king, a betrayed royalty. The drama and action rival any novel! Saul, Joab, Absalom, Amnon, Tamar, Bathsheba, Michal, Jonathan, and Solomon all play their dramatic parts in battles, friendships, romances, wanderings, palaces, betrayals, rejoicings, and grief.

Anyway...

Here's a little gem of a verse that stood out to me. A woman is reproaching David for not bringing back his banished son (Absalom) who killed another son (Amnon) for raping his sister (Tamar). She says:

"But God does not take away life; instead He devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from Him." 2 Samuel 13:26

Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment