Monday, February 27, 2012

I Sing the Mighty Power of God

Hiking over branches and rocks. I'm training her young.

This morning was warm and sunny. Our winter has been so mild, yet I've gloried in every spring-like day like it was the first in months. I thrive on sunshine. I told my husband yesterday that I need sunshine just like I need food and water. He thought that was a bit of an exaggeration. Perhaps it is a little, but I think sunshine still runs a close second to those other necessities!

I decided that things like cleaning my perpetually dusty and toy-strewn house could wait a little longer. After all, darkness and rain will come and I can clean then. I can't clean when it's nice out. So, off we went to the park play in the mud, throw rocks in the creek, and gather acorns.

Looking 'over the mountain' from the top of the hill at the park

It is never easier for me to be thankful than when I'm out in God's glorious creation. I stood and looked at the blue, blue sky and felt grateful for many things:

My happy baby who giggles when I throw rocks to make splashes and tries to do it herself.

Her intent face as she tries to gather as many acorns and rocks as possible into each hand.

Sunshine and warmth

The ability to be home to take advantage of these days. How sad I would be if she or I had to let these days pass us by as we missed them from inside somewhere.

A tucked away park less than a ten-minute walk from our house that has a creek, woods, a gazebo, and rarely any other visitors (at least at this time of year!)

Good health to enjoy it all!

Gathering acorns and rocks

As we wandered through the woods, I couldn't help singing this classic hymn by Isaac Watts that usually comes to my mind at such times (hey, no one was around to hear me!):

I sing the mighty power of God, that made the mountains rise,
That spread the flowing seas abroad, and built the lofty skies.
I sing the wisdom that ordained the sun to rule the day;
The moon shines full at God’s command, and all the stars obey.

I sing the goodness of the Lord, who filled the earth with food,
Who formed the creatures through the Word, and then pronounced them good.
Lord, how Thy wonders are displayed, where’er I turn my eye,
If I survey the ground I tread, or gaze upon the sky.

There’s not a plant or flower below, but makes Thy glories known,
And clouds arise, and tempests blow, by order from Thy throne;
While all that borrows life from Thee is ever in Thy care;
And everywhere that we can be, Thou, God art present there.

No comments:

Post a Comment