Monday, August 22, 2011

Sunshine and psychology

After this morning's grumpy vent, I feel like I should redeem myself and write about something more pleasant. Like the weather...It's absolutely gorgeous outside today. Cool breeze, warm sun, perfect. I'm never happier than when I'm outside on a beautiful day. This kind of weather makes me just ache to climb a mountainside, take a boat out fishing or kayaking, lay in the grass in the warm sun, or move to the coast of Maine. Unfortunately, when I can't do any of those things, I get grumpy. God, there's yet another thing we need to work on... Sigh.
I'll try to be thankful that I got to take Elsie down to the park this morning and park my sleep-deprived self on her tiny fleece blanket in the sun while she scooted around getting her clean pants all muddy. Mud, by the way, doesn't bother me...she can get as muddy as she wants. In fact, a few days ago, I took her out and actually let her play in the puddles on the patio. I had to Oxi-clean her clothes, but she sure loved it! I wonder if she'll turn into a tomboy girl who hates to shop... like me? Probably.

I wonder why I love this weather so much? I think I'm one of those people that get that certain kind of depression in the winter when they don't get any sunlight. Definitely, I think I am. Anyhow, I've been doing some psycho-introspection lately (yes, I made up that word) since I've been reading this book called "How We Love" (very, very interesting book, by the way). In it, the authors talk about how your childhood environment shapes the way you emotionally connect in adulthood. I tend to be kind of skeptical of what I call psycho-babble, but I think there's some merit to these ideas. After all, we are all people that were largely "built" by our backgrounds, right? More on this later, but I was wondering this morning if I love the outdoors so much because I spent my happiest childhood times there, and used it as my escape during my loneliest... Not to mention the fact that I'm pretty sure God created humans to live in the outdoors. He did put Adam and Eve in a garden, didn't He?

No comments:

Post a Comment